We have some tips to quickly spruce up around your outdoor spaces for those shindigs at home!Read More
Can you believe we are already gearing up for Labor Day weekend? There's no better way to enjoy this holiday than with a backyard party! If your yard is looking a bit tired after a long, hot summer, you might want to spend a little time on an instant outdoor face-lift. We have some tips to quickly spruce up around your outdoor spaces for those shindigs at home!
Consider items around your home that you can re-purpose and use as decoration in your own backyard… and add a touch of whimsy!
- An old mirror is a fantastic piece to be hung on a fence or patio as it creates an illusion of more space.
- Have a wagon that is worn-out or not being used? This is classic for a planter or to hold small potted plants. Old chairs and benches are also easily re-purposed as planters that can make a colorful splash in your yard.
- Shutters, wire racks and ladders are often used for climbing plants.
- Before you toss out something lying around the house, think about ways it could be reclaimed into something decorative and useful for your yard.
Do you want to enjoy extended time outdoors? Lighting can be one of the most important elements in outdoor entertaining.
- Solar-powered lights or flickering tiki torches are considered a quick and easy way to lighten up outdoor spaces. Arrange them to create dramatic lighting for a particular tree or element in your yard.
- You can also light up the night by running strings of miniature lights around your entertaining area. They come in many fun shapes and are wonderfully festive.
- Inexpensive lighting fixtures probably won't last for more than a season or two. Consider a long-term solution like the state of the art, low-voltage lighting systems we install.
A fire at night is really never out of season. It's a comforting addition to your lighting efforts that offers a beautiful glow and entertainment for your outdoor time. You could purchase a pre-made pit, build one of your own or allow us to design and install a custom-made fire pit for you.
- Give your outdoor furniture an overhaul!
- A fresh coat of waterproof outdoor paint, especially in vibrant colors, will transform many tired-looking things.
- Add decorative accents, such as outdoor cushions and pillows, in coordinating colors or patterns.
- If you don't have enough time left to paint, then get creative with the things you do have. Big, vibrant beach towels can casually be tossed across chairs and chaise lounges to hide many flaws!
Don't have that outdoor furniture you wanted to get or want to add a touch of formality to the weekend gathering? Bring the inside outdoors by using your indoor furniture for the occasion!
- Take your kitchen table and chairs outside instead of sitting on folding chairs around a picnic table.
- Any tables, dressers or accent furniture you enjoy in your home may be taken outside and placed around the yard so your guests have a spot for their drinks and eats.
- An outdoor rug gives feeling that your space is just an extension of your home.
- A bar and bar stool seating are popular choices, making entertaining easy.
Spending extended time outdoors during the day calls for a structure to give outdoor shade where there isn't any, especially here in Texas. A conventional fix would be to add a permanent gazebo, but on a time or budget crunch you can opt for one of the quick pop-up tents. The canopies allow you to hang and decorate with objects like lights and ornaments to add pizzazz! Large umbrellas also provide ample shade and can be used in many creative ways.
- There are several plants that naturally help ward off bugs and mosquitoes around your outdoor spaces that you can plant in the ground and/or in decorative containers. Basil, citronella, catnip, lavender, lemon balm, lemon grass, marigold, peppermint and rosemary all work as natural repellents. Click here for more info at our Mosquito Repelling Plants Blog.
- A large fan or multiple fans placed outdoors in the areas you hang out in will direct air flow, helping push bugs away.
- Yard guard foggers applied outdoors before get-togethers manage to keep bugs out for up to 6 hours. However these also kill beneficial insects and bees. Mosquito sprays tend to be greasy, pore-clogging, & sometimes downright dangerous for us. Click here for the list we have compiled of alternative, environmentally friendly methods and products of deterring mosquitoes.
- A few pennies in a zip lock bag filled with water will keep the flies away. There is no scientific evidence why, but I have personally been to an outdoor 4th of July party where the hosts had hung zip lock bags filled with just water, and it truly appeared to keep the flies away from the tables and areas where they were hung.
Hanging baskets or planted containers liven up the corners of any yard and pots are an all-around good addition as you can place and move them wherever you wish. Greenery can be added as well, such as potted ferns or a trellis with climbing ivy. A trip to your favorite local nursery will help you select what is gorgeous now...
Surprise your friends and family with a fresh, new look for a memorable outdoor gathering! Living Expression Landscapes is happy to help you update your lawns, gardens, and outdoor spaces. We hope you have a wonderful summer!!
Common mosquito sprays tend to be greasy and pore-clogging, making you feel even hotter in our humidity and heat. Here we share alternative products for, and environmentally friendly methods of deterring mosquitoes.Read More
This fierce, fearless, beautiful bird is an entertainment to watch! Find out how to attract them and combat their decline with a Nestbox...Read More